Thursday, May 8, 2008

Habitable Wall.

Our final project we were assigned was to design a Habitable Wall. It was broken down into a few couple assignments. We were first assigned into groups to research and produce a book about a particular artist. My group was assigned to research Frieda Kahlo. She was a Mexican artist suffering through a tragic life. She was diagnosed with Polio as a young child and then was in a awful bus accident leaving a pole shattering her reproductive organs. We were then assigned to design a habitable wall for our client. Here are some sketch models I started to work with. My theme I wanted to work with is the "brokeness" of her life.
First sketch model with broken ideas applied.
First sketch model to scale.
We went through a week called "color week" and learned about color. We were then asked to add color into our models. It took a while for me to figure out how I wanted to go about the color because I didn't want to just add color on a bench because I had to. I then decided I wanted to add color on the broken column and make it into a "beautiful" piece like Frieda did with her paintings and life. Here is my first model with color.
I enjoyed this one but I felt like I needed to work on the right wall that is attached to the studio so I combined two sketch model ideas into one and worked with that. I then decided I wanted to go with more rectilinear shapes in my model to add a more contemporary feel and added off white furniture to pull away from "living inside a cardboard box" feel. There was actually a lot of controversy over me using the cardboard for my final model. I got feedback that I should cover it so it looked like I didn't use it just to use it. So I thought about covering it with a different brown paper and I decided it wouldn't achieve the same texture and brown that I wanted. Ideally I wanted it to actually be made of cardboard but wasn't sure if it was possible. After researching cardboard rooms I decided that that would be final material.
Final Presentation board and renderings.

No comments: