Thursday, May 8, 2008

Elsewhere Artist Collaborative.

A couple weeks ago my drawing class and I went downtown to Elsewhere Museum. It isn't your ordinary museum that you are not allowed to touch anything and everything is showcased on a pedestal or glass. It is a three story old boarding house full of stuff. Stuff is EVERYWHERE! The owners refuse to throw away, sell, or donate anything. They invite artists from all over the world to come stay with them and work on a piece using the stuff that is already there. There was this really creepy room that was done with babydoll heads hanging by rope and a sheet attached at the head draping down. There then was a light with all these random baby doll parts and rocks and such. It reminded me of the Sixth Sense/horror movie. We were asked to put our name and iarc on five stickey notes throughout the first floor of objects we wanted to draw or enjoyed. Then we were told we were going to make a map of the first floor so everyone taped off their own section of the museum to illustrate. I remember the first day I was very overwhelmed with it all and was afraid to touch anything. Yesterday, probably my sixth time going back, it sorta felt like home. haha. Here are some drawings I produced throughout the weeks. Hope you enjoy!

I have two more drawings I thought were scanned in but are not on my flash drive, so they will be added tomorrow when I receive my sketchbook back. Lauren and I went back yesterday to finish up some drawings and take some pictures of the museum for you to see how clustered and overwhelming it really is. This is the left side right when you walk into the museum.
this is the path you walk through to get to the back of the place...anyone with clasterphobia or OCD haha wouldn't do too well.
One of the artist's desks. Artists come in and stay usually for about a month and pay rent to stay and work.
This is the "zone" I chose to illustrate for the mapping of the first floor. I'll be adding the outcome of it after drawing soon. It was a lot more overwhelming that I imagined when I first started drawing. And the angle I had chosen wasn't as easy as it seemed.Overall I really loved this assignment and experience. It was very enjoyable to go into such a space and NEVER run out of things to draw!

No comments: